Young Author/Writer Celebrations
A nationally recognized master storyteller, award-winning spoken word artist, PBS-TV presenter and long-time journalist-author for magazines, newspapers and anthologies Jim brings his limitless energy and creative imagination to celebrate stories: told, written, rhymed or imagined.
Jim’s interactive, instructive, inspiring presentations aim to nurture a love of language to all students as a highlight to Young Author’s or Young Writer’s events.
You can book Jim’s participation for your celebrations in several ways:
Assemblies: (All ages) Jim creates different interactive assemblies for various grade levels (example: K-2, 3-4, 5-6) to help all students understand the power and joy of written language and the spoken word. Assemblies are 45 min each.
All-Day Residency: (All Ages) Jim can visit your school community for a whole day with assemblies, class visits, teacher workshops, signings, even a family evening. Jim’s experiences are woven together to help students learn to play with both writing and telling on the path to appreciating the art of storytelling. Jim has a host of illuminating and humorous discoveries to relay to students about becoming an author. Full of activities and exercises to help students become effective, lifelong tellers and writers, Jim will aim to make your event a memorable one.
Some selected publications include:
- The Courage of Ed Pulaski, in Many Voices: True Tales from America’s Past, (National Storytelling Press)
- Lessons from an Earlier California Boondoggle, Wall Street Journal
- The Little Rooster and the Big, Bad Baron (coming soon)
- Participation Tales: Stories to Talk Along With (Parent’s Choice Award Winner - CD)
- American Tales: Stories to Grow Up With (CD)
- Lifeline, Storytelling Magazine
- The Drowning of Coyote Gulch, Sierra Magazine
Jim’s stories about history, storytelling and nature have been published in The Denver Post Empire Magazine, the Sacramento Bee, The Boise, Idaho Statesman, The High Country News, Sierra Magazine, Storytelling Magazine and a wide array of regional and local local newspapers across the country. Jim spent two years as a feature writer-journalist at the Wood River Journal in Hailey, Idaho, and remains a free-lance writer today.
Some notable presentations include:
- National Storytelling Festival, featured presenter, Jonesborough, TN
- International Storytelling Center, Artist-in-Residence, TN
- PBS-TV Storytime, Guest Reader/Teller (KCET, local)
- J. Paul Getty Museum, Commissioned to create and present original stories highlighting art
- Los Angeles County Fair, Teller in Residence, Interpretive Director, Millard Sheets Center for the Arts
- L.A. Times Festival of Books, Featured Presenter
- Keynote/Workshop Leader: Equity and Diversity Conference, Las Vegas, NV, The National Storytelling Association, National Park Service and many more.
Contact Jim to order your
spoken word CDs.
For Booking Information Contact:
Jim Cogan Storyteller
Jim can also be booked through the
Segerstrom Center for the Performing Arts
714-556-2122 x 4310
Performances to Grow On